Saturday, January 7, 2012

"When I'm 100 I think I'll Eat Soup."




Last year on the 100th day of school, I had my students do a number of fun little activities in celebration of the monumental day. For one of them, I asked my kidos to compare and contrast how things are now with what they might be like when they are 100 years old. Surprisingly my students took this task quite seriously which led to some very comical responses. One response I will never forget came from my student Efe. When asked what he might eat when he was 100 years old, Efe sat quietly pondering for about 5 minutes before responding, "I think I'll like eating soup. Yeah, soup."



Well, Efe may like soup when he is 100 but I like soup now. I think I will always LOVE soup during winter. As it starts to get cold outside, soup is just what I need to warm up. It is also quick and easy to microwave during the day when, I only have 5 minutes to throw food down before I'm needed in the classroom again.

In a lot of places around the world, you can buy canned soup. I'm currently not in one of those places. So, I made my soup from scratch. While it did take a bit of time to chop and stir, I enjoyed the process and busted out some dance moves along the way. I'm not sure how much I would like cooking without music playing in the background. It is definitely a must have combo.


Anyway, it turned out pretty darn good. I think I might just keep making soup from scratch from now on, even if I live in a place where cans abound.

Krista's Lentil Soup for All Ages

Ingredients:
1Tbsp. olive oil
2 large onions, peeled and chopped
4 medium carrots, chopped
2 cups uncooked lentils
2 cups uncooked chickpeas
7 cups water
3 Cloves garlic, peeled and minced
2 Tbsp. dried rosemary
Pepper (to taste)
Garlic salt (to taste)

Directions:
To begin, heat oil in a large, heavy soup pot. Add onions, garlic, and carrots and cook over moderate heat until onions are limp. Add lentils, chickpeas and water, bring to a boil. Lower heat, add herbs and spices, cover and simmer for 30 minutes, or until lentils and cheakpeas are soft. Stir in more warm water if soup becomes too thick. * I added a little Parmigian-Reggiano (I just pick up during my travels in Italy) for one more punch of flavor. Makes 18 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment